Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Casa Ole Queso Copy Cat

I have been slacking on the food tutorials lately, I know I know. I have fully made up for it this weekend I did FOUR tutorials. I spent my entire day in the kitchen Sunday, but I enjoy it because I'm a weirdo.

This is my favorite absolute favorite queso dip. I think the reason I love it so much is because I have been going to Casa Ole since I was a little girl. My grandma used to pick me up from school and we would head to Casa Ole--sometimes three times a week. My uncle calls it the sit down Taco Bell, but I love it!

When I was in Kindergarten the school had a fundraiser selling cookbooks compiled of recipes submitted by staff and parents. I lost mine a few years ago when my family moved, but luckily my boyfriends mother gave me an extra copy. She is the best, maybe soon I can get her to guest blog with some of her fabulous Cajun recipes! We went to a Farmers Market in Pearland, I used some of the produce I bought in this recipe. I will have a separate post on the Market, it was so awesome!


Very simple ingredients, celery is included
in the original recipe I didn't add it because
I hate buying a whole thing of celery for one stalk.


Cube the cheese and place in a double boiler. 
This is the first self rigged double boiler
I have attempted that actually worked right. 
I used to think that double boilers weren't necessary,
but i kept burning cheese, and nothing is more
disgusting them burnt cheese, I promise.


it takes a while for all that cheese to melt,
I should have timed it but somewhere around 10 - 15 minutes.


Melt two tablespoons of butter,
saute onion and bell pepper for about 10 minutes

towards the end I added the jalapenos


once the cheese is melted smooth, add the vegetables


yummmmmmmmmmmmm


it has a thinner consistency which I enjoy but you can 
always add less water if you prefer thicker queso

I am obsessed with Tex Mex food, especially salsa and queso

I added the exact measurements, but you can really
just eye it and adjust it to your liking.
My grandmother swears there's sour cream in it, so
you can add that if the mood strikes you


Ingredients
2.5 lbs American Cheese, cubed or grated
1 3/4 Water
1 1/2 c. Onion, chopped finely
1/2 c. Bell Pepper, chopped finely
1/2 c. Celery, chopped finely
1/8 c. Jalapenos, diced
(These ingredients are suggestions you can cut this
in half or add more of less of what you want.
In this tutorial I used one medium sized onion,
one whole bell pepper, and 1/8 cup of pickled jalapenos.)
Instructions
Combine cheese and 1 3/4 cups water in 
the top of a double boiler and bring to
 a boil. Stir every 5 minutes. While cheese is melting, 
melt 2-3 tablespoons of butter combine onion, 
celery, bell pepper and jalapeño in saucepan and sauté
 over medium heat until vegetables are
translucent-about 10 minutes. When cheese has
 melted and is smooth, add vegetables 
and mix thoroughly. Simmer 5 minutes.
This recipe is cut in half from the original

7 comments:

  1. so is it Velveeta or American cheese??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made it using a can of cream of celery soup(no chopping veges.) a can of green chile. If it's to thick add a little at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can use cream of celery...i have a recipe i got years ago from a book that was supposed to be similar to casa ole queso... you use 1c milk, diced green chilis, onions, butter, and can of cream of celery... it taste delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did pretty good, but I used to work for Casa Ole and this is not quite it. The problem is that you can not buy the ingredients you really need in a store, so you are not ever going to get it exactly right. Trust me on this. Even knowing the exact recipe I can not ever get it just like Casa Ole'. So sad. You are soooo close, but they use only fresh jalapenos (cut open, deseed, dice fine). There is no butter or sauteeing of veggies. The veggies are put in a pot with a little water to boil. After they are cooked tender you add the cheese. And that is the frustrating part because you can not buy the cheese. It is not Velvetta. It IS "American Processed Cheese", but it from Sysco and it is different. Also, there is a small amount of cheddar cheese in it. For this amount you might add about 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese. Hope this is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct I also worked at Casa Ole’ and they do not use Velvetta cheese, it is American cheese, you can buy it in the deli is the closest to what Sysco sells but definitely NOT Velvetta

      Delete
  5. I wonder if beer was added if it could be used as Beer Cheese soup?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is Diablo 3 itemscertainly the particular annoying part since you not purchase your parmesan cheese. It's not Velvetta. It IS "American Refined Cheese", but it really from Sysco and it's distinct.Cheapest wow gold Also, we have a bit of cheddar mozerella from it

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails