Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

Caramel Apple Cupcakes

I guest posted this tutorial earlier this week, but I also wanted to have it on my blog so here it is! Usually I am so pumped for Halloween. This year however I am not feeling it, I didn't even wear my costume to work. I hate when I don't feel in the holiday spirit! Hopefully that will change soon! I even made a vampire Halloween version of Casey and myself.


 This recipe really caught my eye, it doesn't hurt that it's from Land O'Lakes
Rule #1 always trust a butter company when it comes to recipes.

Add your dry ingredients in a medium bowl. 
The recipe called forapple pie spice, but I didnt have it. So 
I substituted 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg, 
1/8 teaspoon allspice, and a dash of ground cloves.
 Pretend you see cloves in there


Let's also pretend like I have a picture here of the wet ingredients, 
I am consistently inconsistent.
Mix brown sugar, caramel sauce, eggs, butter, 
and half & half (I substituted milk for half & half)
mix for 2-3 minutes


Grate two small apples or the equivalent of one cup. 
 Grating apples is surprisingly fun


Add the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened.
Then stir in the apples.

 Bake at 350 for 25 - 20 minutes


How did I get them all of even? 
I will let you in on a cupcake filling secret.
Take a gallon ziplock bag pour the filling in, 
seal it and snip the tip! TA DA!

 I would have loved to take pictures of the process 
of making stove top icing but I am a nervous wreck 
when at the stove with sugar, I think the fear stems from 
an incident of fudge burning one Christmas.
Anywhosit this is what the consistency should be like.


This frosting sets very quickly, make the frosting right 
before the cupcakes are to be iced.

These make your house smell like the holidays, 
I love that quality in a dessert


I really should have cut this in half, 
but I couldn't take it anymore and 
I took a bite and now you can see 
my teeth marks. Sorry.

These were delicious, and fun to make I highly recommend them.

This recipe would make an EXCELLENT sheet cake. 
I love sheet cakes because of the sheer simplicity. 
You just pour the batter on a jelly roll pan bake, and 
then pour the icing on the the hot cake, 
you don't have to wait for the cake to cool.
I like my recipes like I like my men hot, quick, and easy.


slightly modified recipe from Land O'Lakes

Ingredients

Cupcakes
2 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Apple Pie Spice*
3/4 cup Firmly Brown Sugar
3/4 Butter, melted
1/2 Caramel Ice Cream Topping
1/4 cup Half & Half
3 Eggs
2 cups of shredded apples

Frosting
1/2 cup Firmly Brown Sugar
4 to 5 Tablespoons of half and half
2 1/2 - 3 cups Powdered Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 - 1 teaspoon Butter Flavoring


Instructions
Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cups into 24 muffin pan cups; set aside.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and apple pie spice in medium bowl. Combine all remaining cupcake ingredients except apples in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (2 to 3 minutes). Add flour mixture; stir until just moistened. Stir in apples.

Fill each prepared muffin cup with about 1/4 cup batter. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from pans; cool completely.

This frosting sets VERY quickly, make right before you are going to ice cupcakes.
Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 4 tablespoons half & half and 2 tablespoons butter in 1 1/2 quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved (4 to 5 minutes). Remove from heat. Stir in enough powdered sugar for desired frosting consistency, adding additional half & half, if necessary. Stir in vanilla and butter flavoring. Frost cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails